CBD Pet Products: How CBD Can Help Your Furry Friends (Part One)
If you are a pet owner, you probably want the best for your furry friends. You want them to be healthy, happy, and comfortable. You may also be looking for natural and effective ways to treat their common ailments, such as pain, anxiety, inflammation, etc.
One of the natural remedies that is gaining popularity among pet owners is CBD, or cannabidiol. CBD is a compound derived from the hemp plant, which is a cousin of the marijuana plant. CBD has many health benefits for humans and animals alike, without causing any psychoactive effects or addiction.
What is CBD and How Does It Work?
Let’s get into it. CBD is one of the many cannabinoids, or chemical compounds, found in the hemp plant. Unlike THC, which is the main psychoactive component of marijuana, CBD does not cause any intoxication or high. CBD has been shown to have anti-inflammatory, anti-anxiety, anti-seizure, and neuroprotective properties.
CBD works by interacting with the endocannabinoid system (ECS), which is a network of receptors and molecules that regulate various bodily functions in humans and animals. The ECS is responsible for maintaining homeostasis, or balance, in the body. It influences processes such as pain perception, mood, appetite, sleep, immune response, etc.
The ECS consists of two types of receptors: CB1 and CB2. CB1 receptors are mainly found in the brain and nervous system, while CB2 receptors are mainly found in the immune system and peripheral organs. CBD can bind to both types of receptors and modulate their activity.
CBD can also enhance the levels of endocannabinoids, which are naturally produced by the body and act as messengers between cells. Endocannabinoids help regulate the ECS and its functions.
By influencing the ECS, CBD can help restore balance and harmony in the body and promote overal
How Can CBD Help Your Furry Friends?
CBD can help your pets with various health issues that affect their quality of life. Some of the most common benefits of using CBD for pets are:
Many pets suffer from chronic pain due to conditions such as arthritis, hip dysplasia, cancer, etc. CBD can help reduce pain and inflammation in pets by interacting with the ECS and modulating the transmission of pain signals in the brain and spinal cord.
CBD can also help with acute pain due to injuries, surgeries, or infections. CBD can speed up the healing process and prevent infection by enhancing the immune system and reducing oxidative stress.
Many pets suffer from anxiety due to various factors, such as separation, noise, travel, strangers, etc. CBD can help calm pets and reduce their stress levels by influencing the serotonin system and activating its receptors.
CBD can also help with behavioral issues that are related to anxiety, such as aggression, barking, chewing, etc.
Other Health Benefits
CBD can also help your pets with other health benefits that are not directly related to pain or anxiety. Some of these benefits include:
- Anti-inflammatory properties: CBD can reduce inflammation in various parts of the body, such as joints, skin, gut, etc. This can help with conditions such as allergies, dermatitis, inflammatory bowel disease, etc.
- Neuroprotective properties: CBD can protect the brain and nervous system from damage caused by aging, trauma, toxins, etc. This can help with conditions such as epilepsy, dementia, stroke, etc.
- Antioxidant properties: CBD can scavenge free radicals and prevent oxidative stress in the body. This can help with conditions such as diabetes, cancer, liver disease, etc.
- Immune system support: CBD can modulate the immune system and balance its response. This can help with conditions such as autoimmune diseases, infections, etc.
Navigating the CBD Pet Product Market
If you are interested in trying CBD for your pet, you may be overwhelmed by the variety of products available on the market. There are many types of CBD products for pets, such as oils, treats, capsules, etc. Each type has its own pros and cons that you should consider before buying.
The most common types of CBD products for pets are:
- Oils: Oils are liquid extracts that contain CBD oil mixed with a carrier oil, such as MCT oil or hemp seed oil. Oils are usually administered by dropping them under your pet’s tongue or adding them to their food or water. Oils have some advantages over other types of products, such as faster onset time (15-30 minutes), higher bioavailability (up to 40%), and easier dosage adjustment. However, they also have some drawbacks, such as variable dosages depending on the dropper accuracy and your pet’s cooperation, unpleasant taste or smell for some pets, potential interactions with other medications or supplements that your pet may be taking.
- Treats: Treats are edible products that contain CBD oil or isolate infused into them. Treats are usually given to your pet as a reward or a snack. Treats have some advantages over other types of products, such as convenience, palatability, and longer shelf life. However, they also have some drawbacks, such as slower onset time (up to 2 hours), lower bioavailability (up to 20%), and fixed dosages that may not suit your pet’s needs.
- Capsules: Capsules are solid products that contain CBD oil or isolate in a gelatin or vegetable shell. Capsules are usually swallowed by your pet or hidden in their food. Capsules have some advantages over other types of products, such as accuracy, discretion, and long-lasting effects. However, they also have some drawbacks, such as difficulty in administration for some pets, delayed onset time (up to 2 hours), and lower bioavailability (up to 20%).
What to Look For
Now that you’re equipped with the right information, you can choose like a pro. When choosing a CBD product for your pet, you should look for some quality indicators that can ensure the safety and effectiveness of the product. Some of these indicators are:
- Third-party lab testing: This means that an independent laboratory has tested the product for its potency, purity, and safety. You should always check the certificate of analysis (COA) of the product before buying it. The COA should provide information such as the batch number, date of testing, cannabinoids profile, terpenes profile, heavy metals analysis, microbial analysis, etc.
- Source of hemp: You should look for products made from organic hemp grown in regulated farms that follow good agricultural practices. Organic hemp is free from harmful chemicals and GMOs and has higher levels of beneficial cannabinoids and terpenes.
- Extraction method: You should look for products made with CO2 extraction or ethanol extraction, which are the most common and safe methods of extracting CBD from hemp. These methods preserve the quality and integrity of the CBD oil and avoid the use of harsh solvents or additives.
- Ingredients: You should look for products that contain natural and pet-friendly ingredients, such as MCT oil or hemp seed oil as carrier oils, natural flavors or sweeteners, etc. You should avoid products that contain artificial colors, preservatives, fillers, or allergens.
CBD can be a game-changer for pet owners looking for natural solutions for your pets’ wellness. CBD can help your pets with various health issues, such as pain, anxiety, inflammation, etc. CBD is also legal in most places and easy to find online or in stores.
However, not all CBD products are the same. You should always look for products that are third-party tested, made from organic hemp, and have the right potency for your pet’s needs. You should also consult your veterinarian before using CBD for your pet if they have any medical conditions or take any medications.
When in doubt, you know who to reach out to. We’ve seen it all and are here to help for your furry (or lack thereof) loved ones.